Monday, January 16, 2006

Christian Online Gaming Communities

For years, my good friend Peter has been running TOJ - the Tribe of Judah - an online Christian Gaming Clan that has now a part of CGA - the Christian Gamers Alliance . I have seen many people brought in, counseled, and in some cases - just had a lot of fellowship. As it's once been said - guys spend time side by side (games, sports, etc - doing something) and girls spend time face to face (talking/quality time). This has been a great outlet for guys to spend time with other believers that, geographically speaking, they might not get elsewhere. I have been a longtime member (inactive for now) - but I still wholeheartedly support and encourage organizations such as these. Christ said " go into all the world, and make disciples." And, because of today's culture, where it's sometimes acceptable for a 10-12 year old to play a MMORPG for hours on end, these clans are a great tool for going into "their world."

This post isn't without prompting - to my surprise, Penny Arcade had a whole post/ comic about it (link = curse word warning). As with many I don't agree with everything said on Penny Arcade, many times the posts prove insightful. Of course, their posts are many times based on another post. Of course, if you dig enough on that post, you'll learn about an upcoming strategy/action game based on the infamous Left Behind Series.

Truth be told, my chruch will be launching a 100% ONLINE campus later this year. Our church already uses the multi-campus approach, and this will be treated just the same - it's own Campus Pastor, it's own Praise and Worship Band - even a chat area solely open before and after the Experience - just like chatting in the foyer (still in the works)!


Whew! I think I broke my personal record for greatest number of hyperlinks in one post!

No comments: